Sky Diving Dillingham Airfield
Mokulea Beach Park
North Shore, Oahu, Hawaii 1968

I flew a C-182 drop plane out of an old B-25 runway on the North shore
of Oahu.  This was a civilian operation that used two planes to haul 
sky divers up to 12,500 feet and turn them loose over our drop zone 
which was located at the end of this 10,000 foot long runway. Great 
weather and the sea level to 12k drop height made for real good sky
diving.  During my time as one of the pilots many events occurred. We 
tragically had two deaths and numerous injuries.  This story describes
one such event of the latter.

It was a great Sunday afternoon and I had been taking loads up all day.
The winds were now blowing pretty hard making the divers work their 
'chutes to make the drop zone for landings.  I was up to altitude 
trying to hold course while four sky divers went out the open door.
All four got out okay, so I started to spin down to the runway for 
another load.  While descending, I noticed one parachute off to the side
headed toward the rocky cliffs of a 1,500 foot rock bluff next to the
air field.  I prepared to land just as the wayward sky diver went out 
of sight behind the cliff.  After landing we got a Jeep to go and find
the individual.  Landing in that area of large rocks would not have been

We drove along the access road until I saw the parachute on the edge in
some large rocks.  After a short walk to the site, we located the 
individual.  It was a young Air Force Sargent I knew from Hickam A.F.B.
Things did not look good: the individual was not awake, had a broken leg
for sure and a head injury.  EMS people arrived on site and packed 
Sargent Krause off to the hospital.

I had a trip for a couple of days and when I got back to Hawaii, I went
to the hospital to check on Sargent Krause.  When I entered the room,
Sargent Julie Krause was in traction.  We visited for some time while 
she told me what had happened.  She had a problem with one of the control
lines on her 'chute and could not turn toward the normal drop zone. The
cross wind then blew her over the rocks.  Julie knew she could not make
a proper landing in the rocks so she put one leg straight out to take up
some of the shock, and folded her other leg up under her.  Then, she
covered her face and head as best she could.  She did not remember much
after descending into several large rocks.  The leg she had extended had 
been broken many times and was now in traction.  Her other leg was also
broken but not as badly.  She also hit her head causing a day long 
blackout.  She looked pretty good given the very bad conditions she 
landed in.  Two broken legs and a bump on the head was relatively good
news.  Her legs had taken up most of the impact keeping her body from 
sustaining any internal injury.  

Julie is a nice looking very well built woman who loves to live on the
wild side.  She rides a motorcycle, sky dives and goes deep sea diving
whenever she can.  Two weeks after the accident her left leg was still 
in traction, her right leg was in a full length cast and her head wound
was healed up.  During my next visit, Julie told me that they were 
finally going to put her left leg in a cast and let her go home.  
Hospital discharge day arrived and we brought her out in a wheelchair.
Both her legs were in casts.  With her arms around our necks we were 
able to slide her into an old station wagon for the trip to her beach

Although she was glad to be home at last, Julie needed help for all 
everyday tasks.  The casts were heavy and any sharp movements caused 
her a lot of pain.  Her circle of friends arranged to have someone 
with her all the time.  After a couple of weeks she had settled into
a daily schedule.  The two week visit back to her doctor confirmed 
that things were progressing normally for her right leg which had now
been in a long leg cast for four weeks.  The doctors agreed to change
her right leg cast and replace it with a short leg walking cast. That
proved to be a great help as it now allowed her to stand up.  Her left
leg was also re-casted.  The new cast started at the base of her toes,
positioned her foot and ankle at a natural angle, kept her knee bent 
at a forty-five degree angle, and ended as high as possible on her 
upper thigh.  The position of her ankle and knee would prevent any 
weight being put on the leg.  At home after three days drying time,
Julie stood up on her short leg cast and crutched.  She could not 
really walk very far, but could now get around much better.

My turn to hang around her and help with all daily activities came 
around once a week.  She was great and never complained.  Julie is 
also very friendly and open about close sexual contact with any good
looking man.  During my stays at her house she never indicated any 
concerns about what I saw or touched on her body.  This freedom did
develop into several sexual encounters during which she never held
back and anything went.  Her great little body laying around with 
very little clothes on tended to arouse my desires.  She was always
interested in very active intercourse.  It still amazes me how she
could physically dominate the encounter with one leg completely 
encased in a huge plaster cast, and the other leg casted from the 
knee down.

My next visit I had the great pleasure of taking her back for an 
orthopedic checkup.  Just being in the waiting room was a great
exposure to every kind of cast imaginable.  This visit did not 
disappoint, with lots of leg and arm casts.  I first helped her into
some proper shorts and a t-shirt.  Julie had become pretty good with
her crutches and walking cast.  She did not like to be carried, and 
could crutch for some distance without getting tired.  Her crutching
across the parking lots was a really great show.  This visit proved 
to be significant because they took off her short leg walking cast.
She also got a new long leg cast on her left leg.  Julie felt like a
new woman now that she had one leg back.  She was ready to attack the
World again!  I managed to get her into the plane and we went flying.
Julie now told me that she wanted to sky dive again to which I said:
"No".  Julie had now become very active with only one leg in a cast,
and did everything she had done before.

Julie did not need full attention now so I did not see her for 
sometime.  A couple of months had passed when she showed up at the
jump site ready to make a jump.  I asked her if the doctors had 
approved?  She told me everything was okay and paid her money to go 
up to 12,000 feet for a maximum free fall time.  We loaded the plane
while I took her off to the side and told her I did not think this 
was a good idea.  Julie was not going to be left on the ground, so I
checked her pins and off we went.  At the assigned altitude everyone
exited the plane and I started back down to see if she had landed 
okay.  When I landed, she was limping back to the school.  She said 
it was great although her left leg hurt when she landed, but 
otherwise everything was okay.  Over the next couple of weeks she made
several jumps, but each time the landing was painful and she was 
limping more.  I did not see her for a couple of weeks after that,
until she showed up to jump again.  The day was windy with gusts to
twenty miles per hour.  The drop was normal.  When I got back on the
ground, she was being carried back to the flight operations room from
the drop zone.  After finishing flights for the day I went to her place
to check on her.  I let myself in as she answered my call at the door.
I was not surprised to see her little toes once again sticking out of
a long leg plaster cast.  The left leg which was badly broken before
had broken again.  I do not like to see people hurt themselves, but 
she really looked great.  Our relationship became strong and I realized
how much I missed being with this attractive young woman and her broken
leg.  I knew that time had been wasted when she was casted before and
this would not happen again.  I spent all the time I could with her
until I was transferred away.

The second broken leg required three long leg casts for a total of 
twelve weeks, followed by two short leg casts, and finally one short
leg walking cast.  I also determined during the many visits to the
doctors that they had not approved her jumping, and in fact had told
her not to sky dive anymore.  I overheard one discussion at the 
doctors office that they were going to leave her in a cast to ensure
she did not go out and break her leg again.  I am sure this accounted
for the extended length of time she was casted.  Julie is one of those
people going through life with their hair on fire.  If she is still
sky diving then she is still having problems with her legs.  Somewhere
out there she is in a cast.  Something to look forward to......

Copyright (c) Gimpix. All rights reserved

Return to TOP Page